Quick, while the sun’s out – this is a great meal to cook on a sizzling hot barbecue on a warm summer’s day.
per serving: 282 kcal, 42g protein, 14g carbs, 6g fat, 4g fibre
You will need:
150g skinless chicken breast, cubed
150g lean rump beef, cubed
1 tsp ground ginger
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp reduced-salt soy sauce
½ tsp Chinese five spice
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
freshly ground black pepper
80g courgettes, cut into chunks
80g button mushrooms
160g salad leaves
4 spring onions, sliced
80g cucumber, sliced
½ yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- Put the chicken and beef in a large bowl. Add the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, five spice and 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, season with plenty of black pepper and mix well, so everything is coated in the marinade.
- Cover the bowl and leave in the fridge for at least 30 mins (or prepare in advance and chill overnight).
- Remove the meat from the marinade and thread onto four skewers, alternating with the courgettes and mushrooms.
- Cook the kebabs on the barbecue or under a preheated grill, turning frequently and basting with the marinade, until the meat is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, mix the salad leaves, spring onions, cucumber, and the rest of the balsamic vinegar, season with black pepper and then serve with the kebabs.
- This will work with any lean, tender cuts of meat, including pork tenderloin (fillet) and lamb fillet or leg.
- Make a vegetarian or vegan version by replacing the meat with red onion wedges, slices of red, yellow or green peppers, and halloumi, tofu or Quorn.
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 20 mins first to prevent them from burning.
Click here to download and print this recipe.